20080320

A More Perfect Union



I usually leave the political rants to Ranger Paul. But Barack Obama's speech A More Perfect Union inspired me to go out on a limb and share my thoughts with whomever will stumble upon them here. While listening, I was reminded of my family members from earlier generations expressing views on race that made me cringe. I reflected on my interactions with a man who got off a plane from his home in Kolkata just yesterday to work on our project for the next 6 months. He was hired because his rate is half what a local contractor would charge. And I was reminded of the months spent in the PICU with my infant son when I desperately clung to hope.

I read that he wrote the speech himself (but you can't believe everything you read on the internet). In any event, I agree with Senator Obama's words. Especially when he says that no one can tell me that my daughter with Down syndrome can't learn. OK, he didn't mention my daughter or Down syndrome - that was me. Anyway, Barack's speech gives me hope. I think he's what this country needs to help us create a more perfect union.

1 comment:

kippur said...

Right on, well said. Helping heal this country and get us beyond this racial and cultural quagmire that we seem to be in is what he can do! He is the first person to come along in a LONG time that I know can do it! He inspires me and he gets my vote!