20060501

Memories of Mookie

I remember where I was in '86 when the ball rolled through Bill Buckner's legs. I remember the sting of my team, the California Angels, being 1 strike away from the series. These were the California Angels, not the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim or anything silly like that. I was less than a year removed from fry cook at the Fryin' Pan in Fargo. I had spent over $1,000 on World Series tickets just the week before. An amount a fry cook could never dream of spending on baseball tickets. I didn't attend a game of that World Series. Dave Henderson, or Gene Mauch depending on your point of view, made sure of that.

Anyway, a fellow database geek with some spare time on his hands remembered it as well. He made this video. He's no longer a database geek, but that's beside the point. I don't know the guy, but he's got a more popular blog than Ranger Paul. Just happened across a story about him and his video in the Wall Street Journal. And since I didn't have anything else important to say, I thought I'd share. Actually, I guess I did have something important to say. What's more important than all of our lives and our memories?

No comments: